Fortune's Eve by Emma Jane Halloway

This story takes place before Scorpion Dawn, which I reviewed last year. I think reading them out of order led to an awkward start to the story for me. I stumbled through the first couple. The author was setting up the world, but I was already familiar with the characters. And, yet, the development seemed like it would be lacking for someone completely new to the series. It was a little like reading the last chapter of a mystery first.

Once I got into the meat of the story, it's entertainment value picked up. I really do enjoy the steampunk atmosphere Emma Jane Holloway can write. The addition of the Conclave's magic is even beneficial. However, I keep falling out with the Unseen. 

This series is a struggle. So many aspects I like, but the aspect I don't like is pretty hefty. I am honestly torn. I'll probably put the upcoming books on my TBR, but I don't think I'll be in a hurry to read them. They'd be worth recommending to anyone who loves the zombie genre. Might even get them into steampunk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City