Continue on the steampunk train

Lady of Devices got me back into the steampunk world and reminded me of Gail Carriger. I read her first novel Soulless on a whim at the library back when I was an avid card holder and relished the smell of spine glue and musty paper. I since moved and have not found the motivation to head out to my "local" (which is ridiculously inconvenient to get to and miles away) library. I live on Amazon these days.

After going back to check on my first foray into the steampunk genre, I noticed all books in the series were now being sold in one boxed package. I am a huge sucker of buying an entire series in these beautiful boxed sets. One, it eliminates my need to keep bookends (which I do not like for some reason) on my bookshelf. Two, it fulfills my OCD to have every book in a series with matching size, print, artwork style, etc. Since it has been two years since reading Soulless, I decided to just restart the series. (I will admit here that I began reading the second book but felt hopelessly lost after two paragraphs.) So I am at the dilemma of counting Soulless as one of my 75. The deciding factor: I couldn't remember any of the plot or some of the characters. That feels like a new read to me, so it goes on the list of 75.


Soulless by Gail Carriger

I did manage to remember some details from the first reading, but enough were missing to create an excellent reading experience a second time. I own an adorable hedgehog and many hedgehog shaped accessories, which was completely justified for its cuteness here. 

While initially leery of the paranormal dynamic (I am pulled by the immortal philosophical dilemma, but frightened of the "modern" twist from the Hollywood glamour aspect of Twilight), Gail Carriger handled the immortals of her story with a fascinating take. The idea of a preternatural to balance the excess soul is refreshing. I didn't cling to it initially, but Miss Tarabotti made the concept grow on me like a revolting Hisselpenny hat becoming fashionable.

My sense of humor runs to the extreme end of dry (very suitable for a British lady of distinction) and must have some intellectual stimulation. Gail Carriger's wit conforms perfectly to what I find worthy of tears from laughing. Many times sitting in my "book nook" I guffawed to myself and disturbed the entire household with the random timing and force of exhilaration. I feel the strong urge to sit in that nook with a good cup of tea and reminisce about my brief time living in the United Kingdom. It is very heartwarming, and before I know it, I have eliminated several hours of my life. I highly recommend the Parasol Protectorate to any with a mind that actually functions outside of Hollywood. 

Here's to the entire series!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City