Sometimes bumps in the carriage happen

When writing a series, authors typically have developments planned out ahead of time and a "big picture" of what the story needs to create. Then they have to go back and figure out how to get from Point A to B with the correct amount of foreshadowing. I am not a fan of the mystery genre due to the fact that very few authors are capable of foreshadowing. I do not want to know the answer by the second chapter. 


Blameless by Gail Carriger

The review here will be brief in honor of how I feel about the abruptness of this continuation of the series. Blameless has done a fantastic job of keeping me from seeing the big picture while still making me feel that there is something niggling the back of my mind about the importance of an occurrence. I almost notice the foreshadowing, but then it slips around the corner before I remember I'm following the trial.

However, the third installment in the Parasol Protectorate did fall short of being fantastic. It seems like it was stretched a bit too thin to cover that Point A to B aspect without having substantial meat for itself.  The toast really just wasn't suitably covered at this tea party. 

Perhaps it is the middle child syndrome of wanting all the attention then falling short from intimidation. There were still skyrocketing moments of bloomer indecency and entomological pursuit to keep me trundling through, though. Ms. Carriger introduced some very loved and very love-to-hate characters to keep the story tantalizing. Certainly not a failure, just proof why I do not set my mind that all sequels must be as ravishing as the first. It did, however, continue my high hopes for the series. 

Here's to continuing the parassault!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan