Holiday Steampunk Weekend

Amazing long weekend off from work filled with good food and reading! Now that only leaves me 10 days left at the grindstone for the year. Whoop! While I stuffed myself of excellent Indian cuisine for the holidays, I also took to the book-nook with a warm afghan and snacks for steampunk gluttony. A great refresher for the next two weeks.


Lady of Resources by Shelley Adina

I had a high level of anticipation for this novel. It was very hard for me to put it off for my holiday reading binge. I love the first four novels in the Magnificent Devices (as witnessed in reviews earlier on my blog). This installment has all of our lovely characters from the first novels, but takes the focus into the history of the Mopsies! I adored those two little ragamuffins and their tenacious spirit. I was so excited to hear they would be garnering their own spotlight. 

Lady Claire's story had concluded with her departure to college for her dream of becoming an engineer. Now we are five years down the line at her graduation and the Mopsies graduation before making their higher education decisions. It is the first time we get to really follow the lives of the girls of the twins. Every orphan has a history even if most forget it and them (besides the Lady of course!). We were able to find the real family of Willie and its happily ever after. Now we get the chance to see where the Mopsies come from, and how they spectacularly ended up in the flock. Leave it to the Mopsies to do something with flourish.

Not only do the girls struggle for the first time in their lives over their character differences, they are struggling with their history. Neither remembers a childhood outside of rag-picking and thieving rich ladies who drive down the wrong streets. They are facing their next step in their education: the (dreaded) Finishing School or continue on with their education in physics and maths. (Side tangent: I greatly appreciated Ms. Adina's treatment of the feminine side of education. Lady Dunsmuir is certainly not a fop of a character because she went to finishing school and behaves as a well-bred lady. I truly find it refreshing in an era that is trying to churn out fem-bots of feminism by the dozens. You can be a strong, independent woman from the home if that is your choice and shouldn't be looked down upon.) They have been influenced by strong women of both persuasions. Which will they follow?

Back to the point at hand, Lady Clair may have created a home for them and love them, but it is nothing like family. That deep search for belonging and understanding a piece of ourselves is timeless.

I did miss Rosie, but the book easily garners a 5 star review. I highly recommend you go pick up a copy today at your local store or order an e-edition here.

Here is to heading back to Galbrieth!

Comments

  1. Your "fem-bots of feminism by the dozens" comment is rather obnoxious. Actually obnoxious is not the correct adjective. It is actually hypocritical more than anything else. To achieve your fullest potential, no matter what your goals are, is the very essence of feminism. Your sweeping general comment is disappointing. Women should support each other and their goals; not take opportunities to belittle each other. Which is what I just did, so I guess that makes me a hypocrite too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni, I appreciate your comment. All opinions expressed in a brief moment of a brief blog are sweeping and general. I was in no way denigrating women, but a part of a movement I dislike. I was simply speaking to the beauty done in this novel to show both sides of the female coin, which has been sorely lacking (for clarification, in my opinion). You have incredibly hard working career women making a way for themselves, and then well bred ladies of the home. Each path has its merits, and the author did a fabulous job of exploring those merits along with their faults, which is what I was giving her credit for in my review. Sorry to have gotten your crinoline all out of whack. Women will support women as well as men will support men.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City