Inside the minds of Wonderland

I found myself on another steampunk binge in the month of May. It doesn't seem to be too hard to do these days with the ever expanding popularity of the genre. This time we fell down the dark side of the rabbit hole. Now for a review of a book that has now been added to the list of my all-time favorites. I just finished it last week and want to re-read it already.

The Singular and Extraordinary Tale of Mirror and Goliath by Ishbelle Bee

I will be quite honest when I say I picked this book based on its cover. It is beautifully fascinating. The imagery manages to boggle my  mind into seeing 3D. Then I read the small excerpt and really needed to read it. So very, very glad that I did.

I will easily give this novel 5 stars. I will also honestly point out that this will not be a story for everyone. The whole tale has a dark side. There is a mild scene of gore, but overall the violence is limited to a Tim Burton macabre death. 

Mirror has something trapped inside her and she must get it out. After living in the mysticism of Egypt, she travels to the dreary London in the days of Jack the Ripper to find a cure. Goliath takes her to a variety of soothsayers, tarot readers, and spiritualists of ill repute to find a cure for her. And he himself is one fantastical guardian.

There is also something very wicked interested in getting to Mirror before they are able to destroy her monstrosity. Everyone is looking at time and the way we interact with it. The creep factor is so high in this novel. The entire time I was on edge to read what was going to happen next. In what seedy alley were we going to end up? What disturbing character were we going to be introduced to next? I really could not put this book down. Another fantastic hit from Angry Robot.

Another aspect I love about this novel is the use of visual typeface. The creepy factor of John Loveheart is absolutely solidified by way the type is presented. It has been a very long time since I have seen such great use of graphic design. The cover plus the reading experience--just beautiful. 

The whole experience was like reading from inside the Mad Hatter and Chesire Cat's brain combined. Everything was just slightly off kilter and I loved every minute of it. Perhaps that really says something about my brain, but I don't care. I say read it, love it, embrace its kilter.

The most exciting thing I read about this novel though was the Volume I label. That means more are coming. Pumped!!! 

You can pre-order the book now from all the major, and most independent, retailers. For more amazing authors from Angry Robot, visit their website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler