Release Day Review

It has been awhile since I have reviewed graphic novels on this blog. Growing up with a huge passion for fantasy books and Japanese cartoons, it seemed a likely path for me to get into comics; yet I never did. Then a decade later my husband and I branched into Magic: The Gathering, which is commonly sold in comic stores. I tried again to complete my nerd status by getting into comics. Now, graphic novels are more popular, and their subscription rate became better balanced between content and cost. I was willing to give them a try.


The Looking Glass Wars: Crossfire by Frank Beddor, et. al.


I love the "Looking Glass Wars" series in regular print format. They are an amazing series that twists the tale of Alice in Wonderland. Beddor sees it as how Alyss influenced Lewis Carroll to write his story from her life, not as a retelling of the tale itself.

Weekly, I receive a digest on graphic novels from Netgalley. I was hyper excited when last week included the "Looking Glass Wars" continuation. Thank you to the publisher for granting my wish. With The Looking Glass Wars: Crossfire, we go beyond Alyss's adventures and into her life as queen of Wonderland.

For the obvious points: 

  • It is a graphic novel, so the meat of the story is not as fully fleshed out as a print format would be able to cover.
  • Art is aesthetically pleasing in vastly different ways to every individual.

Now that those points are out there, I can honestly review this book. I would recommend it to all while my actual enjoyment was mediocre. I was pleased with the characters and their plot development. There was plenty of background information with thrilling new adventures. We get a continuation of the story diluted down to a fraction of the pages, but none of it feels cramped. All the magic of Wonderland is still present. Their are thought-provoking conversations and a range of emotions for such limited space. The pages just fly by without realizing time has passed. 

What made the experience lackluster for me was the graphic embodiment of Wonderland. The art style is not my favorite as I prefer much cleaner lines and brighter colors. This is a completely personal observation for the book and no way detracts from the quality of the writing or story. Many may find the art appealing and heighten their experience. I want to make sure those who flip through it and dismiss it for the washed out feel DO NOT pass up the chance at a great story.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan