Worst reading slump ever

I have been reading for well over 2 decades now and this has to be one of the worst reading slumps I have ever hit.  I just couldn't pick up anything that felt like I had to read it.  Even perusing Netgalley was drawing a complete zero.  

When that happens, I usually try to go to the library or my massive Kindle stockpile for out of genre works to really shake it up.  Usually I do that with Clive Cussler.  I picked up at Raise the Titanic! and even tried Vixen 03.  Both books just left me wanting to find his address and chuck the books in his face.  They were trash.  That's my official review there.  

I felt disappointed that I had nothing new to put online.  Then I remembered I hadn't finished the "Septimus Heap" series.  I looked them up on Amazon and found that for some fortuitous reason they were on sale for $3 each.  How am I going to say no to $3 paperbacks?

Welcome to my review of the books that saved my reading slump.

Darke by Angie Sage

This is the darkest of the entire series as the title aptly suggests.  Merrin has reached a level of nefarious that strikes fear into the hearts of all characters; princesses, witches, wizards, scribes and jinees alike.

I truly appreciate that this series has an amazing amount of growth to it.  While the events of the story are in a rather compacted timeline, the overall character growth seems very realistic. 

There are many reasons these novels could be compared to the "Harry Potter" series, but I have to say they stand far apart from each other.  I love them both dearly for what they bring to the table in my own personal terms.  As for writing and story, I think "Septimus Heap" is actually edging out for the better series.

Fyre by Angie Sage

This was a very satisfying conclusion to the series.  There was a definitive wrap up to all story lines.  All the characters received some form of happily ever after and brief segue into what their futures would hold.  

AND... it set up the next series in the "Septimus Heap" universe focusing on a whole new set of characters with a brand new dilemma to overcome.  I look forward to the series.  

These novels were witty, entertaining, heartbreaking, endearing and absolutely cherished.  They have always perked me up when I need something to read for enjoyment.  And yet, at the same time, I have managed to reflect and learn with them.  That was a heck of a reading slump and the Heap crew knew just how to cure it.

Here's to some FizzFroot and Magyk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan