Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

Mistborn (Mistborn, #1)  The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)  The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
After a soul crushing read of The Queen of All Crows by Rod Duncan, I was really in the mood to backtrack to some classic authors that made me a bookworm.  I needed to reassert that there are good authors out there.  There are good novels of magic and wonder and epic awesomeness.

I went back and reread the "Mistborn" trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.  I fell in love with the series immediately and they left a very lasting impression with me.  They are what all these modern authors should be aspiring to do when they create these dystopian worlds and female protagonists.

I was not disappointed in the reread.  While this time around I knew everything that was coming, I was able to absorb even more goodness from the story.  This is the absolute hallmark of a master author.  No matter how many times you read a story there is always a new angle to view and new lessons to learn.  

Vin is amazing, but she is not the story.  She is merely part of a lesson to be learned.  The world that Sanderson creates around her is cosmic and complete.  The magic system of Allomancy and Feruchemy is well thought out and dependent on the story.

A decade later and I still feel the same way about these stories.  I recommend them to every person looking to get into epic fantasy.  They are epic.  They have it all.  They are the real deal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan