Lady Mechanika: The Clockwork Assassin

Lady Mechanika Vol. 4: The Clockwork AssassinWe have, today, the fourth installment in the world of Lady Mechanika.  You can catch up with Vols. 1-3 here, here and here.

Our steampunk mystery for today revolves around Mr. Lewis's past colliding with his present.  There is a dark secret behind the work of Blackpool engineers, and Lady Mechanika is the leading suspect for their crimes (insert dramatic mystery music).

The first volume suitably pulled me in with its steampunk Holmesian heroine, Lady Mechanika, and her endearing drunk engineer, Mr. Lewis.  The original duo are back in action, and we get to figure out why Mr. Lewis is always drunk.

I must admit, I almost lost my way with the truncated Volume 3 and non-arc short La Dama de la Muerte.  But I persisted.  The short wasn't related to the main story and was kind of like those holiday specials of your favorite show--you watch them but wouldn't mind if they didn't find their way to the DVD release.  I wasn't going to be deterred from returning for Volume 4.

The true pull to this series is the why of Lady Mechanika, not her individual escapades.  I'm glad my curiosity prevailed because Volume 4 brought back the action and intrigue of the first volume.  Sure, I knew who-dun-it before the big reveal, but there were enough little twists and turns in the story to make it worth the investment.  Plus the gizmos and gadgets and artwork certainly more than made up for the plot simplicity.

For the numbering confusion of readers out there, this is Volume 4 of Lady Mechanika's story to find her creator.  Purchasing websites list it as Volume 5 because they consider the non-related short La Dama de la Muerte to be Volume 4.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler