The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio RacesI had really meant to put this review up in time for the scorpio races, but I missed it and the opportunity for ambiance. But everyone here already is aware of my lack of timeliness so we'll just get along to the review.

On an island off the coast of what appears to be Britain of a begone era, a group of riders take on the ultimate challenge--racing water horses.  A young man named Sean has an astounding relationship with the water horses, but Kate wants to prove that it's not all about the local legends.

This is a gut-wrenching tale about choices, home, and love.  The cast of characters is a vast array of usual suspects.  They have nothing extraordinary about them, and that is what makes them some of the best developed characters I've read.  I was incredibly impressed with the sense of reality even being in a fantasy island with mythical creatures.

I picked this book off an Amazon sale for the horse race plot.  I want to be very forthcoming, if you are looking for a high action horse race, don't get this book.  If you want to read a high quality story with the bonus of horses, then certainly pick up this novel.  

The story pacing is definitely slow, but I never felt like putting the book down.  The characters are gripping and the tale itself is life.  By the end of the book, I was mesmerized.  A definite 4 star book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan