Scorpion Dawn by Emma Jane Holloway

46650159. sy475 I was very excited to get an email from Booksprout that Emma Jane Holloway had returned to the steampunk genre. I really enjoyed her "Baskerville Affair" series and had just recently binged Sherlock on Netflix. The timing was just right for another steampunky read.

Scorpion Dawn is an entirely new series from Holloway. The steampunk elements are all excellently represented with airships, tea, and aether. There are some incredibly clever inventions as well.

I like the self-assured Kitteridge and want to know more about his secrets, the Conclave and the magic system. There are plenty of elements that keep the pages turning. However, two items kept me from loving this book and giving it anything more than 3 1/2 stars.  

One, Miranda. There is nothing inherently wrong with Miranda; I'm just a little washed out on the whole oppressed females are smart so their going out to make a name for themselves, dammit, attitude.

Two, Unseen. Are they vampires? Are they zombies? Are they hybrid zombie vampires? I'm not really sure just yet; I don't like them. I've not liked anything yet in the zombie craze. I don't think I will ever like zombies. But they do have enough curiousness about them that makes me want to read the sequel.

In the end, I can say I read the entire book. I never wanted to give up on it. I do recommend it for fans of steampunk. I just didn't love it as much as "The Baskerville Affair" novels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler