A Hero Born by Jin Yong

This has been a hard review to write because it has taken me so long to read. 

This is a translation of a Chinese classic. This is the Chinese epic equivalent of J.R.R. Tolkien or C.S. Lewis. It was originally published in 1957. Now we have an English translation for the first time. 

And it took me a long time to read because the translation is absolutely top notch. The translator captured the culture perfectly, while still being accessible to an English reader. I may have struggled with the names, but the action and fantasy never made that be an obstacle to my reading.

I'll be cliche for a moment and say it was like having Crouching Tiger playing in my head every time I read a fight sequence. But that does not overshadow the life journey that is the heart of this story.

I recommend investing the time in reading this classic epic. You will learn a lot about yourself too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler