The Druid by Jeff Wheeler

As a recently introduced reader to Jeff Wheeler's books, I was curious about the world of Muirwood many years previously but kept putting off reading them in favor of other series. Then, I received an ARC to Wheeler's "Grave Kingdom" series. I had requested the ARC thinking it would be a good introduction to Wheeler's writing style since all the novels were set in a completely separate "novelverse" from Muirwood. It was pretty much all over from there. 

Wheeler's writing was so impressive and memorable I couldn't help myself and requested ARCs of his "First Argentines" series. Now, there is always a preferred way to read an authors collected works and many arguments on publishing order versus cannon timelines. Jeff Wheeler even provided a guided list for those sticklers on his website. While I usually prefer to be one of those sticklers, when it comes to ARCs for interesting stories, I just can't help myself. 

So here I am, jumping straight into Muirwood without any precursor. And I'm not disappointed I am reading it this way. Even if some plot lines are now obvious for later novels, the story was worth not waiting until I read six other novels. 

The Druid is all about Eilean, a wretched on Tintern Abbey who is a pawn in a power struggle she doesn't even understand. This is an overtly religious novel of early Christian politics. Luther versus Rome equals Aldermastons versus Druids. I appreciated the overt nature of the allegories since I truly believe it needs to be in the spotlight a little bit more right now.

Okay. Back to Eilean. She is the pet wretched of the aldermaston of her abbey. She has been perfectly raised as a submissive kitchen girl. In fact, her greatest ambition in life is to become a lady's maid after her 18th birthday when she will be booted unceremoniously from the very abbey that is her only known home. 

When she is shipped off to the brand new abbey building grounds to spy on a captured druid, she spends the time pining for the preppy boy who never noticed her until he was separated from all his friends. Some emo songs could easily be the soundtrack for this novel. Eilean mostly drove me nuts. Until meeting Mordaunt. The whole story flips on end then.

The overall package of the novel is mediocre. There is nothing groundbreaking, the writing is a paced slow at points and rushed at others, the characters are marginally developed. BUT. This is a guaranteed good read. It will keep your interest. It will be enjoyable to take a break from the hustle and bustle. And it can even make you think about things bigger than yourself. Easily a 4 star novel. I look forward to the rest of the series for sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler