Trouble Series by Stephanie Tromly

I binge read the first two novels in a weekend. I was wallowing from a very soul-crushing novel (which I DNF before I lost my sanity), so I started digging forlornly through me TBR pile. A heavy fantasy or non-fiction were out of the question. My psyche could not take any more punches. Then I scrolled to Trouble is a Friend of Mine. When did that get there? The curiosity was piqued and my library had it. Perfect storm. The description seemed upbeat and most capable of raising my mood. 

I was hooked by the first chapter. I couldn't stop reading until I ran into trouble (haha) finding Trouble Never Sleeps from my library. I maybe should have seem that as a sign. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Trouble is a Friend of Mine stars Digby. Because everything in life stars Digby. He is an incredibly intelligent, troubled youth. His sister was kidnapped right in front of him nine years ago. On his stakeout for some potential suspects, he meets Zoe. There is no turning back. The rest of the novel is a fast-paced whirlwind of high school shenanigans that never should succeed, but in the miracles of youth, do. This quick humor and runaway train continues all the way through Trouble Makes a Comeback. There are drug ring busts, armed stand offs, robberies, misdemeanors, and even a few felonies. To make things completely interesting, there is even cop for a potential stepfather.

So many wrongs you can't help but wonder how powerful are these kids' guardian angels. I tore through the hijinks. What I could have done without was the romantic hendecagon. I know, I know. Remember, you're reading a YA novel. Remember, teenage hormones make high school impossible. Correct. BUT there can be such a thing as poorly done teenage angst. We witness it here in this series. Because they throw the adults in the angsty midst, too.

All that angst that has been brewing on the backburner comes to a head in Trouble Never Sleeps. Where I quickly lost my interest for the story and, gasp, almost did not continue. But I just had to know what happened to Sally! So plug away I did. Fortunately, this was the correct response because, after the emotional turmoil of the first half, we were back to the live-or-die stacks of the first two novels. Plus some seriously mysterious new creeps we need to figure out.

The mystery element to the series is incredibly obvious and not so much mystery, but it does not diminish from the entertainment value. As witnessed by my binge reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler