Two-Damage My Heart by C.N. Holmberg

I was impressed enough by You're My I.T. that when I had a chance for an advanced copy of Two-Damage My Heart I had to say yes. 

Our main protagonist Rue wrote letters to a missionary practically every day for a year. She fell in love with that boy before he completely ghosted her and shattered her heart. Fast forward nine years to a singles mixer in Salt Lake City where Rue and Landry clash head on. But guess what? He doesn't recognize her and things get weird. Super weird.

At first glance, it seems that Rue doesn't appear to be concerned with social norms. She has pink hair in a conservative town, plays roller derby, and openly LARPs in a public park. Then we have Landry, a handsome award-winning salesman who graces the amateur comedian stage in his spare time. A young man who just oozes charisma. Already their interests seem to have deviated them in different directions, but that letter writing campaign of their youth has a lasting connection.

And it is that awkward love-hate that makes this story move. Rue had been her authentic self and got completely rejected. That leaves some deep scars. Landry is addicted to attention--to the point he ditches the one person who has seen his authentic self. How many of us have pulled that one? Probably most of us.

Despite their swagger, the very real fact is those egos are hiding some deep-seated insecurities. What Rue and Landry must overcome are what continue to draw me to this series. They are the reason I recommend these books when I know someone is a romance reader. This is a love story about redemption and forgiveness

While I was not sold on Rue right out of the gate, I was hooked by the progression of the awkward romance and just couldn't put it down. Then there is the scene where she has to forgive herself. Poignant and made me very emotional. I became a Rue fan after that.

Happy book release, Charlie. Another great one published.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ga-ga-ga-gas-Lit City

The most mind-boggling book I've ever read

The Hunted by Jeff Wheeler